Thursday, April 5, 2012

Jesus Knows

I remember the first time I was persecuted (shunned, treated differently, set apart) because of my faith.  It was an awful experience; one that I didn’t expect and wasn’t prepared to deal with. 

I was a freshman in college and I thought I was pretty cool stuff.  I had one roommate and 5 sweetmates and I was excited about meeting new people and making new friends.  I’ve never been shy, so I wasn’t worried about making new friends. I went to a large high school and was active in student politics. I was always looking for a "cause" to fight for, so I thought this was my newest great adventure.

The problem started when we shared our faith journey one night.  They talked about church and "having to go" because their parents made them go.  I didn't talk about church.  I talked about Jesus and His love.  I'll never forget them looking at me like I was some kind of freak.  

After that conversation everything changed.  It started with whispers and eventually became outright mocking.  Sometimes I would cry myself to sleep because they made fun of me.  I didn't know people could be so mean.  I'll never forget how they made me feel.  

One day (years later) I realized Jesus understood how I'd been treated because he was shunned, mocked, spit on, and set apart.  For Jesus, that was just the start.  

"On the night in which he was betrayed..."

One of Jesus' own disciples betrayed him.  Sold Him. Turned on Him. 

Jesus know what it feels like...

No comments:

Post a Comment