Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fire Alarms

God knows that I am adventurous and visual, and that means that while I’m usually up for a challenge, I sometimes need object lessons with instructions.

Especially when it comes to listening.

Case in point: 

#1  Monday morning 4:19a fire alarm blaring.  I jumped up and at first I thought it was my smoke detector, but then I realized it was too loud.  Okay, so it’s the building alarm.  I threw on some clothes and thought, “If there really is a fire what should I grab?” 
I chose my laptop and my iphone.  Once outside I realized, “I forgot my ipad!”
After I’d been outside for a while I thought about all of the things I really should have grabbed…kids’ pictures and other family items.  “Obviously I should have made better choices…”
Several of my neighbors were already outside, but nobody knew what was going on.  Then we heard a fire trucks – then another.  The firemen checked everything and decided it was a okay now.  I got back inside and had just a few minutes to sit before I needed to get up.
Well, that was quite an adventure.  I got to talk to my neighbors, so that was cool.

#2  Tuesday morning 4:37a fire alarm blaring.  I opened my eyes, “Really?”  This time I peeked out and decided to wait to see if it was for real. 
I sat for a while (while the fire alarm was still blaring) and thought, “Is there something I am missing, God?”  I don’t think absolutely everything has a message, but this one seemed like it did. 
I thought about all the blessings this event contained.  The firemen who came to turn OFF the alarm, no real fire, the sprinklers didn’t go off (keeping my books safe), my warm house, my neighbors, and most of all the knowing that God was always there – everywhere – in me – through me – around me. 

One of my favorite authors is Brennen Manning,  from Furious Longing for God, Manning says:

Let me learn to listen, Lord,
not just with my ears,
but with my heart.

I long for that.  I want to listen with my heart to God and to others. 
I’m listening God…

No comments:

Post a Comment