Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What's Love Got to Do with IT?

Tina Turner.

1984.

"It's a second hand emotion" and "who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?"

WOW - do we really look at love that casually?

Growing up my dad was probably one of the most open-minded people I know.  He did not censor what I read, thought, or sang. (Except one time he forbade me from going to a movie - I went anyway because I was 18...I deeply regretted going because it was creepy and gave me nightmares - so much for not listening to my dad!) 

Instead of censoring me, he made me think about what I read, heard, and put into my subconscious mind. He made me tell him what the words meant and then he made me tell him how that "fits" into God's love and plan for my life. 

He was especially careful with songs like "love the one you're with" and he reminded me to not give myself away "cheap".  "What's love got to do with it?" is somewhat similar.  Don't treat love like some cheap rag we can dispose of if we're hurt.

In our story we need to remember that love comes from God, and is OF God.  Yes, you might be hurt, rejected, or scorned by others, but never by God.  Loving and giving love away is always the right choice...whatever the cost.

I've also learned that 99.9% of the time when love is not accepted it's because the other person has fear (which breeds fear).  For those people, it takes more than one time of loving them to convince them they are "worth" loving. 

So, what's love got to do with it?

Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment