Wednesday, August 1, 2012

For as Long as it Takes

Fasting is an interesting practice and part of my Christian journey.  I’ve done many different kinds of food fasts, but until recently I haven’t experienced very many other kinds of fasts. 
Several years ago however, my Spiritual Director challenged me to “fast” from books. 
Yes, you read it right…books.
I asked my Spiritual Director “for how long?”  and he responded, “for as long as it takes.”
Now that might be easy for some people, but for me it was worse than telling me I couldn’t have water.  I was immediately agitated, irritated, and upset.  I kept trying to play mind games with myself and tell myself I didn’t want to read.  After about 24 hours I found myself clutching a book saying, “what’s one page? I could just read one page and that won’t hurt, right?”
After 4 weeks I realized I was hearing God more clearly, and after six weeks I knew I was practicing quieting my mind so I could hear.  Peace was ever so close. 

I eventually did return to reading, but the exercise taught me how to quiet my mind so God could speak clearly.
There are other fasts that help to quiet the mind and those include:
Fasting from cell phone
Fasting from all electronics
Fasting from television, radio, and media
Fasting from talking
Pretty much, anything you depend on and habitually practice is a good candidate for your fast.
One thing I know for sure – seeking God and God alone reaps a generous reward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment