Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cardboard Boxes

When my oldest three kids were little (the oldest three were born in three years) we used to play a lot.  One of their favorite things to do was to play "train" using a cardboard box.  They would all pile into the box, smallest in front and I would push them around the house.  We would make train noises an they would giggle and scream.  Sometimes I would turn a sharp corner and they would lean so far out that they would tump over.  Then they would scream, jump, and run back to the box shouting, "more, mommy!"

We loved to play and we did it a lot.  

I did try to get some work done, but as soon as I would get one room straightened another would be demolished.  Once, someone came by our house unexpectedly and she was so surprised by the mess that I was embarrassed.  I vowed to be a better mom and keep the house cleaner.  Fortunately, after a few weeks we got to playing again and I forgot about my vow to keep a perfectly clean house.

Today I would do things quite differently.  

I would invite the guest to join in the game. 

I would do a lot more with cardboard boxes, like building forts and tunnels.  

In other words, I would relax and focus more on playtime and less on what NEEDED to be done (according to the world's standards).  

When young mothers ask me what I did right I tell them I played, prayed, and gave out a lot of hugs.

When asked what I would change, I reply that I would love more freely, play like there's no tomorrow, pray out loud (instead of to myself), and hug all the time.  Oh, and for Christmas I would get them a good supply of cardboard boxes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment