Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Your Unique Journey


Our journey of faith comes to all of us in very different ways.  Some of us have a specific story to tell and we can pinpoint the day and moment Christ came to us.  Some have a life changing experience, like the Apostle Paul.  Others know Christ because He has always been part of our lives. 

What’s key here is that there isn’t any one way to come to Christ.  Christ comes to each of us every day, several times a day in a way that speaks individually to us.  

My journey is mine.  Your journey is uniquely yours.  In the same way, the elements that speak to us are individual as well. For example,  I love liturgy – creeds – confession – communion.  I remember watching my dad take communion when I was 5 or 6 years old. Every time he took communion it was as if he walked to the Cross with Christ.  He turned TO God, and after he would have peace.  I didn’t understand at the time why peace was such a big deal, but still it made me wonder…

God knew that my faith would come to life slowly day after day as I sang hymns, recited the Lord’s prayer, recited creeds, read scripture, prayed, and listened for the heartbeat of God. 

Even now, God knows exactly what "speaks" to me. 

So, what’s your faith story?  How does God speak to you? Your history is important to your story, because it helps you connect to God today. 

Exercise: Write your faith story and connect to how God speaks to you. If there are things you don't remember, ask the Spirit to help you.  What's important is that you take time to connect...

No comments:

Post a Comment