Saturday, May 14, 2011



It’s difficult for me to think about what Peter went through that night when Jesus was arrested in the garden.  If you’ll remember, the disciples had already failed Jesus by falling asleep, and then when the soldiers came Peter became enraged and grabbed a sword and cut off one of the soldier’s ears.  Jesus immediately chastened Peter (John 18:19) and said to him “Put away your sword…those who use the sword will be killed by the sword.”  (Matthew 26:52).   Do you think Peter was missing the point here?  Why?  What was Jesus saying here?  

After that, Peter denied him three times.  Why do you think he did that?  Maybe a more important question is how did he feel when he denied him? 
Also, was there mention of Peter at the crucifixion?  Where was he during that time?  As you can tell, I have many more questions than answers here.  What I am fairly certain about is that Peter must have felt really lost and alone and scared.  I know I would feel really scared if I had to face life without Jesus.  

After the Sabbath on Sunday morning, when Mary found the disciples and told them she saw Jesus and that he was alive I can only imagine what Peter was thinking.  Scripture says the disciples didn’t believe her so that was probably his first reaction.  I would image his second was gripping fear.  What if it is true and Jesus really is alive?  That means Peter would have to face him.  How can he face Jesus after denying him three times?  What about you?  Have you ever denied Jesus?  I have.  I hated it, but there have been times I didn’t share what I know to be true.  In my mind that is the same as what Peter did.  I know how I feel asking for forgiveness – saying I’m sorry that I was too scared to speak up.  It was easier to keep my mouth shut or pretend I didn’t hear someone say something derogatory about Jesus.  I remember I was really unhappy with myself afterwards and I felt creepy inside.  I understand how Peter must have felt.  How would he face Jesus?  

And then, what if Jesus wouldn’t forgive him?  Peter had to wonder what Jesus would say to him. 
So, what about you?  Do you have thoughts about how Peter felt?  I encourage you in addition to digging into Mark 16, to read Matthew 26 and 28, Luke 24, John 20-21 and post your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment