Tuesday, January 10, 2012

To Laugh or to Mourn?


On my journey there’s been a time to laugh and a time to mourn. 

One time I knew this woman who liked me and we had a lot of fun together.  I would go to her house and we would have coffee.  We went to the same church and I was glad we were friends. 

Then, one day she stopped calling me. Suddenly it became clear she really didn’t like me.  I kept trying to figure out why.  I mean she wouldn’t talk to me.  And I kept trying to figure out what I had done.  Over time because I was hurt and I stopped liking her. 

Our relationship went downhill.  She would say really mean things to me. After time passed and I moved away from that town, it hit me.  What really happened was that I didn’t love her.  I was so concerned about how she was treating me that I was acting defensively to protect myself.  I didn’t take time to love her.  

If I hadn’t been so focused on myself I would’ve probably been able to iron out whatever happened. There could have been good times with this woman.  I mean, she wasn’t a bad person, she was just really unhappy.  

Facing the fact that I didn’t love her was not easy, but I knew I had to take a good look at myself. Just think instead of mourning what happened, I could have shared laughter with her.  I could have re-written our journey.  The good news is that now I know I can change how I respond.  I can do one thing.  I can choose to love. 

Creative Exercise: Think of someone in your life who treats you badly and ask yourself why.  Make a list of things you can do to change your relationship with that person.  Name one thing you can do today to start loving them.  Now, go do that one thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment