Monday, January 9, 2012

At Least One Thing


 On my journey I’ve learned at least one thing…the older I get, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about how to respond better.  So, I started wondering, shouldn’t it be the other way around?  I mean, I thought when I was young that when I got older I would be able to breeze on through life.  What I’ve discovered is that it's really true...“the more I know the less I think I know”.  
 
Here’s what happened, on my trek to know more is that I learned how very much I don’t know.  I think that started to happen when I sat across the room from some very brilliant men and women.  A few professors in college challenged me a little more than I was comfortable with.  I remember going into my Senior year in college thinking I had it made because all my classes were in speech communication (my major).  I mean, I took debate in high school and I love making arguments. How bad can it be?

Right. Like really bad. What I learned is that my arguments were weak and unsubstantiated.  They lacked depth.  Pop…there went that bubble.I was able to walk away with a decent grade (thanks to eeny meeny miny moe), but it wasn't because I was able to make brilliant iron clad arguments. 

Now in graduate school I have continued to learn more about how much I don’t know.  At least going into it I knew it would be a challenge.  So, why do I keep going back for more?

Glutton for punishment?  

I think not.  At least one thing I’ve learned is that when I am not challenged I am not growing. I don't like not growing.  It’s true in school and it’s true in life.   

Now, your journey may not be the same as mine but I'll bet you have your own unique fuel for the fire.  For me, God knew I loved a challenge and He has been good to give me what I need.  How 'bout you?  What thread of truth can you find in your life that God has helped you discover more about yourself?  How has God challenged you? 


Creative Exercise: Write a list, or a story about what special unique challenge God has given you.  Recognize what God has done for you on your journey.  Know how God has given when you most need and thank Him for supplying your needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment