Monday, November 21, 2011

The Donuts


I love to laugh and I believe that laughter is contagious.  Laughter just seems to brighten even the gloomiest day and at the same time it lightens our load.

I seem to have been blessed with a steady stream of crazy incidents throughout my life.  Almost daily I get involved in some kind of interesting mess.  I've been told by my family (and my friends) that I don’t need to write fiction…my life is hilarious enough as it is.  Someone even suggested I write an autobiography filled with crazy things that happen to me.  

Just a week ago Saturday I went to my favorite donut store to get a dozen donuts for my grand kids to eat before church.  On Sunday morning I very carefully carried the donuts so I wouldn't drop them.  I was picking everyone up so I needed to clear a few things out of the car.  I had several things to carry, including the donuts so my hands were really full. I gently put everything down. I was mostly worried about dropping the donuts so I guarded them carefully.

I picked up the backseat and after that was done I pulled the car out and took off to pick up the kids.  Just after the first turn as I headed toward the kids' house I heard a “thud” from the back of the car.  I looked into the rear view mirror and spotted round circles flying through the air behind me.  I thought, "what are those circles"?  Then, suddenly it hit me. Because I didn't want to drop the donuts, I put them the hood of the car.  

Now all of my lovely donuts were flying through the air like saucers.  

You can imagine my dilemma. I stopped the car, hoping that maybe at least two of the donuts were still in the box but alas, the box was empty.  I quickly picked up the donuts strewn out all over the road and put them in the trash.  I felt really bad that the kids wouldn’t have their donuts at church, but at the same time I was laughing so hard I was nearly crying.  I laughed all the way to my daughter’s house and was still laughing when I explained to the kids what happened to their donuts.  They thought it was pretty funny, too.  Of course, after church we went straight to the donut store to get more donuts.  We continued to laugh about the "first dozen" as we ate our fresh donuts. 

All in all, a good time was had by everyone.  

I realized that the laughter far outweighed the cost of a dozen donuts. You can't buy that kind of laughter. I really is priceless! 


I'm not sure how God created laughter, but because we all have our own unique contagious sound I'm pretty sure God intended it to be something we share liberally.  Have you had a good laugh today?

No comments:

Post a Comment