Saturday, November 19, 2011

...Just keep going


I am not very good with failure.  I have a tendency to “beat myself up” when I make mistakes.  Plus, in my mind, an A- is a form of failure.  That’s part of the reason being in graduate school has really been a challenge for me.  When I make an A, I am on top of the world, but anything below that is (in my mind) an inferior grade (except for Hebrew class where passing is totally acceptable : ).

My dad used to tell me I won't fail if I get up and just keep going. I tried to pass that on to my children.   

When she was growing up my daughter also liked A’s.  In college she majored in Music with emphasis in piano and voice.  While singing was easy for her, piano performance was very challenging.  I would tell her the important thing is to "just keep playing".  Now my oldest granddaughter is taking piano and before recitals her mother tells her to "just keep playing."

The problem is our culture teaches us that failure is NOT an option.  

I have to remind myself it doesn't matter what culture says.  What matters is that God stands with me IN my failure.  By relying on God, we have a helper (the Spirit) who will hold onto us and who will lift us up.   Ephesians 3:17a says, “Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.”  The answer is in trusting Jesus.  When I fail, I am grateful God is right there holding onto me with love.  God is there for you as well.

The last part of Ephesians 3:17 talks about letting our roots grow down into God’s love, and ends by saying God’s love will “keep you strong”.  God knows I am human and I will fail.  There is nothing about me God doesn’t know. What is amazing is that even while God knows I will fail, God does not consider me to BE a failure. Instead, God loves me and helps me IN my failure.

KNOW that God is holding onto you today and when you fail, God is WITH you. 




Do you have a story you would share with us about how God helped you IN your failure?  We would like to hear your story...feel free to post a comment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment