Thursday, December 22, 2011

Journey with Jesus:


Heaven on Earth

I read Matthew 3:2 recently and it struck me that I’ve been carrying some baggage with me when I read that scripture.  In other words, I am assuming what it means based on how it’s been preached in the past. 
 
In Matthew 3, John the Baptist began preaching and he was saying, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”

I’ve been “told” that repent here means to get rid of my sin – as if I should be able to abstain and make it go away.  Looking at it that way indicates that I have power and that I should be able to stop sinning.  It also can produce shame if I don’t use my power correctly.  When you think about it, that sort of means I would be elevating myself and giving myself far more credit than is possible. 
 
I took a good look at the word repent and as it was originally written it actually means to turn away from.  John the Baptist then was telling the crowds to turn from ourselves and our capabilities and turn to God, because God is the One who has the power.  We do not have the power to initiate lasting change, but God does.  By turning to God and relying on Him, then and only then can we find true life.  

In the last part of the verse John says “for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”  John was pointing them to Jesus.  When Jesus came as a baby, heaven came to earth.  John was saying that heaven is here and is now.  Heaven is among us.  When we rely on Jesus, heaven is IN us by the power of the Spirit.  Heaven is also our final destination for eternity, so there is more to come. 
 
What John wanted the people to experience is the Kingdom of Heaven that is now and is in Jesus.  He was saying, turn TO Jesus.

On our Advent Journey we wait and watch for the coming One.  Jesus came to earth so we would turn to God and dwell with Him and IN Him by turning to Him.  

An old hymn says, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.” ( Helen H. Lemmel, 1922)

Jesus came.
Jesus comes.

Heaven on Earth.  

WOW...what a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment