Wednesday, May 2, 2012

First Grief

The first time I lost someone I really loved I was 12 years old.  What was so difficult for me to understand is how it happened so quickly.  Without warning one warm Saturday morning my mom's dad showed up at our house and picked us up in his Rambler (what can I say, it was 1965).  What was weird about it is that my Grampa didn't ever come get us.  I didn't know why, but I don't remember asking questions.  I don't remember my big brother asking questions, either. I remember being confused and scared.  I didn't know why nobody would tell me what was going on.

After being at their house for a while, Gramma said Grampa was going to take us to my other Grandmother's house (my dad's mom).  When we got there my dad met us in the driveway and he told us his dad had a stroke that morning and he passed away.  I remember thinking, "that can't be!  It can't be true."  We just saw Grampa and he was fine.  He was 60 years old.  He wasn't old enough to die, especially suddenly without warning. I didn't even get to talk to him. My dad talked with us about Jesus being with us at this time. Before we went into the house he explained that his mom was really sad that Grampa was gone. 

From that moment on, everything changed.  Gramma cried all the time.  I cried too, mostly because I was confused.  I didn't understand how everything could be fine one moment and so sad the next. 

So it is with grief.  Whether you lose a job, a spouse, a parent, child, marriage, home...it's still the same.  One moment things seem okay and the next moment everything in your life is changed.

That first time of experiencing heart wrenching grief was a long time ago.  Looking back I realize that even though I didn't fully understand it, Jesus was right there with me.  I had gone to church all my life and Jesus was part of my life, but I didn't realize when we hurt, He hurts, too.

I had to learn that tears are part of life, and that eventually when the grieving is done we will remember fondly.  We will even be able to laugh again.  I do remember my Grampa fondly.  

Years later, my dad died when he was 60.  My daughter was 12.  She grieved terribly for her Grampa, and I grieved for my dad. I told my daughter that Jesus was with us.  By now I understood what that really means.  With...IN...around and through.  When we suffer, Jesus suffers with us, IN us, is all around us, and gets us through the nightmare. 

When we weep, Jesus is right there. 

Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment